Delicious Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Gingerbread Cookie Recipe
February 17, 2023
Nothing says the holidays quite like gingerbread cookies! Whether they’re laid out in a festive train, hung as ornaments from the Christmas tree, or just enjoyed straight from the oven, these classic treats bring joy to everyone during the holiday season. But if you have food allergies or sensitivities, it can be hard to find a recipe for a delicious gingerbread cookie that fits your dietary needs. That’s why we’ve created this amazing gluten-free and dairy-free recipe for gingerbread cookies—so you can enjoy the tradition of baking and decorating your very own gingerbread creations without worrying about offending your taste buds or triggering an allergic reaction!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 8-10 minutes
- Dough Chilling: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Servings: 48 cookies
Disclaimer: If you have allergies or diet restrictions, it is your responsibility to make sure any ingredient in a recipe will not adversely affect you. Please consult your physician with any questions before using an ingredient you are not familiar with.
- ½ cup unsalted dairy-free butter (softened), or coconut oil
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg, or flaxseed egg
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- In a large bowl cream together butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until fluffy consistency.
- Add egg, and pure vanilla extract. Mix until fully blended.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl whisk together the gluten-free flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice.
- Pour the dry ingredients slowly into the wet ingredients and mix until fully combined.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and form the dough into a ball.
- Place the dough ball with plastic wrap. Chill the cookie dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (or 180°C). Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove the chilled cookie dough from the refrigerator.
- Sprinkle gluten-free flour on a piece of parchment paper and the rolling pin.
- Roll out the dough until ¼ to ½-inch thick (6 to 3 mm). The thinner the dough, the crispier the cookies.
- Cut the dough into shapes of your own choice!
- Place the shapes 1 inch (3 cm) apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Re-roll dough scraps until all the dough is cut into shapes.
- Bake for 8 minutes for chewy cookies and 10 minutes for crisp cookies. Please watch your cookies because all ovens are different.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for 5-10 minutes before carefully transferring to a wire rack to completely cool.
- Allow the gingerbread cookies to completely cool before decorating.
Once the cookies are cooled they are super fun to decorate. These gingerbread cookies are also yummy plain or sprinkled with powdered sugar.